RAS Panel of Conference Organizers (POCO)
Conference timelines, Concentration Banking Accounts, Budgets, Whether to hire a meeting planner, Conference Closings, Hotel Contracts, Insurance, Tax Issues – organizing a conference can be a daunting task, especially a large conference like ICRA or IROS involving a thousand people or more. Anyone who is involved in organizing an IEEE Conference is urged to attend and get answers to your questions about the organization, requirements, logistics and finances of conferences, both large and small.
The RAS Panel of Conference Organizers (RAS POCO) will take place on Monday, 6 May from 9:00-14:00 during ICRA 2013, in room SR3-Konzerthaus in Karlsruhe, Germany. Lunch will be provided by RAS.
- 09:00-09:30 – Opening Remarks for the Mini POCO – David Orin
- 09:30-10:00 – Conferences in RAS – N. Papanikolopoulos
- 10:00-10:30 – How IEEE MCE can assist Organizers – A Zupeck
- 10:30-11:00 – Conference Timeline & Checklist – N. Papanikolopoulos
- 11:00-11:30 – Conference Basics – N. Papanikolopoulos
- 11:30-12:00 – Conference Initiation and MOUs – Kathy Colabaugh
- 12:00-12:30 – Working LUNCH
- 12:30-14:00 – Conference Finance and Closing – Ron Lumia
- 14:00 – Q&A
RAS Member Luncheons at ICRA 2013
During ICRA2013, May 6-10, the following luncheons are being offered to members of the IEEE Robotics & Automation Society.
- Women In Engineering (WIE) Luncheon will take place on Tuesday, 7 May, 12:50 to 14:00 at the Kongresszentrum Karlsruhe, Konzerthaus. The WIE luncheon provides an opportunity for all the female and male professionals who are interested in women engineering education to discuss the subjects of career path, career/family choices, and other topics. Advanced registration is required by Tuesday, 7 May. There is a $5 USD registration fee to attend. Advanced online registration is closed. To register onsite – please check in at the Luncheon Registration/Luncheon location.
- GOLD (Graduates Of the Last Decade) Lunch is being held on Wednesday, 8 May, 12:50 to 14:00 at the Kongresszentrum Karlsruhe, Konzerthaus. This luncheon is open to recent graduates, so that they can network with peers and find out more about the the benefits of RAS. There is a $5 USD registration fee to attend. Advanced registration is required by Tuesday, 7 May. Advanced online registration is closed. To register onsite – please check in at the Luncheon Registration/Luncheon location.
- Student Lunch with Leaders (LwL) will take place in parallel to the GOLD lunch on Wednesday, 8 May, 12:50 to 14:00 at the Kongresszentrum Karlsruhe, Schwarzwaldhalle. Lunch with Leaders (LwL) offers student members an opportunity to network with leaders and get advice and mentoring on their career and research. Advanced registration is required by Tuesday, 7 May. There is a $5 USD registration fee to attend. Registration for this event is closed. Please consider joining IEEE RAS at the GOLD luncheon.
ICRA 2013 Town Hall: ICRA Paper Review Process
All RAS members are invited to a Town Hall meeting in conjunction with ICRA 2013 in Karlsruhe, Germany. The meeting is scheduled on Wednesday, May 8 from 18:30 to 19:30 in the Kongresszentrum Karlsruhe, Brahms.
The focus of the Town Hall will be on the ICRA Paper Review Process. Nikos Papanikolopoulos, the RAS Vice President for Conference Activities, will host the meeting. Lynne Parker, the Editor-in-Chief of the ICRA Conference Editorial Board, will make a presentation on the work of the Board in managing the annual paper review process.
Please plan to attend to learn more about the policies and procedures for the paper review process. Of course, bring your questions and plan to engage in a lively discussion with the hosts and RAS officers to help us use the best practices for the process.
RAS Photo Contest
Do you enjoy photography, have an artistic eye and are up for a challenge? If you are attending ICRA 2013 in Karlsruhe, Germany, RAS invites you to participate in a photography contest. Photos should capture the essence of ICRA, exhibit creativity and technical skill. You are invited to submit up to three original photos taken during the event from 6-10 May 2013. The winner will receive an iPad mini.
All photos submitted to this contest may be used by RAS in future promotions, the RAS Facebook page, the RAS website or other opportunities. Deadline for Submission of Photos: 17 May 2013
Judging: Photos will be placed in an album on the RAS Facebook page. The photo with the most “likes” by 31 May will be the winner. RAS members and the public will be encouraged to vote for their favorite photo.